Company: Rutgers University
Location: New Brunswick
Posted on: March 21, 2020
Position InformationOverviewRutgers, The State University of New
Jersey, is a leading national research university and the state of
New Jerseys preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher
education. Established in 1766 and celebrated a milestone 250th
anniversary in 2016, the university is the eighth oldest higher
education institution in the United States. More than 70,800
students and 27,000 faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the
public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the
world.Rutgers UniversityNew Brunswick took root over 250 years ago.
We are the states most comprehensive intellectual resourcethe
flagship campus of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, as
designated by the Association of American Universities. We are the
regions most high-profile public research institution and a leading
national research center with a global impact.Posting
SummaryRutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking an
Associate Auditor for Audit and Advisory Services. This position
reports to the Audit and Advisory Managers, and is under the
supervision of the Senior Auditors on assigned projects. The
Associate Auditor position provides professional, independent,
objective assurance and consulting services designed to add value
and improve University units operations. The position assists units
accomplish their mission and objectives by bringing a systematic,
disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of
risk management, control, and governance processes.Among the key
duties of this position are the following:
- Performs audit, assurance, and investigative services that
assist management accomplish program goals and objectives, comply
with established rules and regulations, assure reliability and
integrity of information, efficiency, and effectiveness of
operations, and safeguard University assets.
- Assists in planning assigned services, including: acquiring
knowledge of clients organizational structure; policies, practices,
and procedures; personnel and assigned job duties; physical
facilities and security measures, communication and information
flows, and documents.
- Identifies existing administrative and accounting control
- Assists in evaluating clients control systems by identifying
control strengths and weaknesses, documenting weaknesses as
possible reportable findings.
- Designs tests to validate control strengths.
- Concludes on the reasonableness of controls.
- Communicates with the assigned Senior Auditor(s) and AAS
management throughout engagement to keep them apprised of progress,
observations made, and recommendations under consideration.
- Assists in drafting the formal report for review by the Audit
and Advisory Services Manager(s), Director of AAS, and Chief Audit
Executive (CAE), and issues to clients, senior management, and the
Audit Committee of the Boards.
- Complies with established Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)
standards and departmental policies when performing this work.
- Consults with University managers regarding risk management,
control, and governance processes.
- Monitors clients progress on corrective actions.
- Partners with University leaders/management on committee and
- Teaches internal control concepts and applications.
- Contributes to the student internship program.
- Supports Audit and Advisory Services Department
- Maintains quality and proficient services.BenefitsInformation
about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at:
Education and Experience
- Bachelors degree in Accounting or business related discipline.
(i.e., Business/Public Administration, Finance).
- A minimum of two (2) years professional audit
experience.Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Familiarity with large or complex business organizations.
- Understand the components of sound risk management, control,
and governance processes.
- Possess knowledge of accounting and auditing principles.
- Know and abide by the IIAs Professional Practice Standards in
his/her day-to-day work.
- Demonstrate knowledge of auditing techniques.
- Keep abreast of breaking developments in accounting and
auditing literature, as well as performing research through the
auditors network of resources, for issues specifically addressing
- Have an understanding of management and control model
- Be aware of and understand the policies, rules, regulations,
laws and statutes pertaining to their engagement.
- Be analytical and observant.
- Ability to interpret trends, relationships, and problems from
financial and statistical data.
- Ability to assess departmental operations from a procedural
level, (where a clerk may not follow a designed task) to a
university policy level, where recommendations. might be made to
the Boards regarding new legislation affecting University
- Ability to apply accounting and auditing principles in all
their engagements with university clients.
- Ability to identify the appropriate audit technique for use
depending on the circumstances of their assignment.
- Be alert to conditions in systems, which demonstrate control
strengths, disguise weaknesses, and present opportunities for
- Exhibit teaching skills when working with student interns.
- Satisfactory writing skills to write audit reports, memoranda,
workpapers and other service communications.
- Ability to capture business processes, information and
communication flows and internal control systems of varying
complexities for analysis and evaluation.
- Excellent listener so engagements serve clients needs, while
achieving the objectives of AAS and the university.
- Ability to express himself/herself clearly and professionally
in all communications.
- Interpersonal skills are essential as the Associate Auditor
meets and communicates with every level of the university
- Value frequent communications with AAS management and
subordinates, as well as clients.
- Computer user literate to prepare reports, record project
timekeeping, create spreadsheets and presentations, flowchart
control systems, and utilize various analysis software.
- Self-discipline to progress on concurrent work assignments and
- Ability to maintain confidentiality on all assignments and
occasionally work under stressful conditions (i.e. investigations,
politically charged issue).
- Ability to take direction from the AAS management team and
in-charge Senior Auditor.
- Ability to facilitate complex discussions on control
- Use of personal vehicle in order to travel for business
demands; a valid drivers license would be required for this
- Certification, or progress toward certification, as a Certified
Internal Auditor (CIA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is
- An advanced degree such as a Master of Business Administration
(MBA) or Master of Public Administration (MPA) is preferred.
- Certifications as a Project Management Professional (PMP) or as
a Fraud Examiner (CFE) are also preferred.
- Public presentation skills are also beneficial to this
- Prior usage of audit management software (Pentana Audit,
TeamMate, Auto Audit, etc.) is a plus.Physical Demands and Work
- Standing, sitting, walking, talking or hearing.
- No special vision requirements.
- Office environment.
- Moderate noise.Special Conditions
- Clean Driving Record
- Multiple vacanciesRecruitment/Posting Title: Associate
AuditorJob Category: Staff & Executive -
Finance/Accounting/PurchasingDepartment: Audit and Advisory
ServicesPosition Status: Full TimeFLSA: ExemptGrade: 05Position
Salary: $58,549.00 - $74,109.00Annual Minimum Salary:
58549.000Annual Mid Range Salary: 74109.000Annual Maximum Salary:
89669.000Standard Hours: 37.50Union Description: Admin Assembly
(MPSC)Payroll Designation: PeopleSoftTerms of Appointment: Staff -
12 monthPosition Pension Eligibility: ABPPosting Number:
20ST0493Posting Open Date: 02/14/2020Regional Campus: Rutgers
University-New BrunswickHome Location Campus: Off CampusLocation
Details: 33 Knightsbridge Road, Piscataway, NJ 08854
Keywords: Rutgers University, New Brunswick , Associate Auditor, Accounting, Auditing , New Brunswick, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!