Associate Vice President of Prospect Development
Location: New Brunswick
Posted on: March 11, 2019
Overview:The Rutgers University Foundation (RUF) seeks a strategic, highly collaborative, and experienced Associate Vice President of Prospect Development (herein AVP) to serve as a trusted partner to the high performing fundraisers at Rutgers University. In this new role, the AVP will integrate and oversee a comprehensive prospect development team including prospect identification and research, as well as prospect and portfolio management. S/he will be a forward focused, data-savvy professional who possesses a track record of building development industry leading best practices in prospect development. With a focus on proactive prospect identification and data provision, the AVP will require the capacity to work on both high-level and nuanced aspects of prospect research and management to support the creation and maintenance of rich, deep and continuously updated donor portfolios.S/he will work with some of the best fundraisers in the industry, who along with the rest of the Foundation team, have successfully raised over $200 million this past fiscal year, constituting the best fundraising year in the history of the University. The AVP will be joining the Foundation at a time of great enthusiasm for a future multi-billion dollar campaign, new Foundation facilities and office space, as well as an environment that encourages creativity, cutting-edge technology and out-of-the-box ways to work efficiently and intelligently.Reporting the Vice President of Strategic Advancement Solutions, the AVP will oversee a team of twelve prospect development professionals, as well as work closely with a newly created Data Analytics team. The successful candidate will have an entrepreneurial spirit, and be willing to initiate and lead projects to strengthen gift officer portfolios and partner with fundraisers to deploy creative strategies to help identify and strategically classify new prospects capable of making philanthropic contributions to Rutgers University. The challenge of making continual improvements while maintaining a high level of client service presents an extremely exciting and rewarding opportunity for this role as the Foundation increases its investment in departments such as Prospect Development. The incumbent will provide reliable and timely high-level quantitative data and provide strategic counsel to the Foundation s development officers that will increase operational effectiveness of key fundraising programs including principal, major, and planned giving. The AVP will be responsible for ensuring that prospect development policies and data are up-to-date and meet the needs of the Foundation. Excellent verbal and written communication skills; a current and comprehensive knowledge of data sources and research tools; computer literacy to include industry standard software; and experience articulating values, information, and compelling cases to multiple audiences, one-on-one, and through formal proposals and/or presentations are required. S/he must have solid management experience, preferably overseeing teams with a track record of motivating staff, embracing change and encouraging colleagues to take initiative and lead by example. S/he must have a sincere desire to partner with internal colleagues, spending significant time with his/her team and with other teams across the Foundation.Rutgers University FoundationCreated in 1973, the Rutgers University Foundation advances Rutgers' pursuit of excellence in education, research, and public service. The Foundation provides the bridge between donors and the schools, programs, faculty, and students that make up the University. The Foundation helps to match caring people with satisfying and meaningful opportunities to make gifts that have an impact on Rutgers. Founded in 1766, Rutgers is the eighth oldest institution of higher education in the nation. Today, Rutgers, a member of the Association of American Universities, is New Jersey's premier public research institution and flagship state university. More than 100 majors offer students vast opportunities. On July 1, 2014, Rutgers University joined The Big Ten Conference of world-class universities whose member institutions share a common mission of research, graduate, professional and undergraduate teaching and public service. The Foundation is a 501(c) (3) tax-exempt organization with the sole mission of supporting Rutgers University. The organization includes the areas of Alumni Relations, Development and related Communications. Lead by Foundation President Nevin Kessler and his senior cabinet the Executive Leadership Group (ELG) the Foundation successfully completed a $1 billion campaign in 2014 and is preparing for another multi-billion dollar campaign in the near future.Julie Shadle, Vice President of Strategic Advancement SolutionsJulie Shadle joined Rutgers University Foundation in July 2010, was named Vice President for Campaign and Development Operations in November 2010, and continues to provide executive leadership for the rebranded division of Strategic Advancement Solutions.In her capacity at Rutgers, Shadle served as the campaign director for the University s successful $1 billion campaign, Our Rutgers, Our Future. She provides strategic and managerial leadership to the functions of Donor Relations, Development Research, Prospect Management, IT and Gift Processing/Records, Campaign Operations as well as administrative leadership for the activities of the Foundation s Board of Overseers.Prior to joining Rutgers, Shadle had a long and distinguished career at Princeton University, where in her final position she served as Director, Development Services. Julie made an indelible impact on Princeton s success providing technical, information, and communication support to three highly successful comprehensive campaigns and contributing to university-wide process and change management efforts. She has served the advancement services community through user group and product advisory leadership positions. She holds a B. A. in History from Shepherd University.Associate Vice President of Prospect Development:Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead in the development of a University-wide Prospect Development strategy to include outcomes, identified users, and appropriate tools and policies. Utilizing best practices and industry benchmarking, identify the tools necessary to maintain an informative prospect development strategy that relates directly to goals and targets.
- The AVP will lead the 12-person Prospect Development team and implement an organizational structure that is a best-in-class, capable of providing exemplary research partnership across all entities in the Foundation. Much like other team leaders, this AVP will be expected to create policies and guidelines for the team that fosters efficiency, expedience, high quality and excellent partnership services as key markers for success. Of particular importance is leading and participating in cross functional collaboration partnership with Data Analytics and Information Technology teams.
- In conjunction with the Senior Director of Prospect Development and development officers, oversee and provide guidance on the major gift prospect pipeline and develop an annual operating plan with clearly articulated priorities to ensure timely and accurate information management of data related to all donors and prospects. Work closely with the Senior Director of Prospect Development to manage the prospect assignment process and collaborate with the appropriate managers to facilitate assignment of seemingly viable prospective donors into the appropriate portfolios.
- Act as a proactive strategic partner for frontline fundraisers by delivering information about new and known donors to educate on potential prospect engagement and giving strategies.
- Ensure protocols are in place that adhere to all legal privacy requirements and ethical standards upheld by regulatory bodies and professional organizations. Act as an advisor to meet schedules and resolve technical and procedural/policy issues.Qualities of the Ideal Candidate:The AVP can be expected to have the following personal characteristics and professional qualifications:
- Requires a Bachelor s degree (Master s desirable) in fields such as library and information science, marketing research, journalism, data analysis, social science research, business, and/or similar fields.
- Candidate should have demonstrated understanding of prospect research and prospect management processes and methodologies in a fundraising environment. Experience overseeing and maintaining the integrity of prospect-specific data and database enhancements as it is related to organizational priorities is also required. Experience in higher education development is preferred, especially with a demonstrated understanding of institutional advancement processes. Past experience working in the field as a Development Officer is also desirable.
- Minimum of 10 years of prospect research, moves management, development, fundraising, market research and/or relevant experience. Preference given to candidates with understanding of and competency with the Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement (APRA) Advanced Skill Sets specifically in Research Management and Relationship Management.
- Five or more years of strong management experience along with the ability to lead and mentor professionals in the department and across the organization. Integrity, creativity, energy, and independence; a collegial understanding leadership style that will value and foster professional growth across the team. Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and strategic direction; including the ability to motivate, guide, support and manage multiple priorities in a positive, collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated analytical, project design/management and creative problem-solving skills required. Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities and meet challenging and changing deadlines. Willingness to share skills and techniques with peers and colleagues.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite products, including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook are required. Strong background utilizing a variety of data sources and research tools that help assess wealth and assess as well as reporting software such as Tableau, Crystal Reports, etc. Experience with Advance fundraising software is also required.
- Excellent communication skills, including written and oral are required. S/he must have a sincere desire to partner with internal colleagues, spending significant time with his/her team and with other teams across the Foundation.
- The ability to quickly gain substantive knowledge and comprehension of an ever-evolving multi-faceted University and the interest in understanding those qualities to identify the philanthropic aspirations of new and existing donors. The maturity, judgment, and respect requisite to intelligently engage with leaders across the Foundation.
- Must be able to work independently as well as coordinate projects with others. This individual must possess a high degree of professionalism and ethics and be sensitive at all times to the discretion necessary to be successful in this field.
Keywords: Ruf, New Brunswick , Associate Vice President of Prospect Development, Executive , New Brunswick, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!